Monday, July 12, 2010

Ok endurance racing time


After some back problems during my last race we decided against going to the nationals in July. So we had a weekend open to do some racing and try to figure out the pain, got my new frame(cannondale flash 2010) so we were going to try new things out and a 12hr endurance mtb race is a great race to do it.

Some guys from Ensenada Mex, asked me to join the 4 guy pro team, and I said yes.

We got there around 9am setup camp tents, tables ect. Took my bike to the mechanic there because of some chain rub, when I was using the big chain ring. I have a 2 *9 setup on my bike with a road derailleur up front, also my SI crank was making some noise an hour later he had it all done 5 dollar.

I didn't prerun the course so my first lap was a recon lap as well bike adjustment. The course was a real mtb course, lots of steep climbs mostly sinlgletracks a couple of fire roads. Right from the go we took the lead, the other teams were a few minutes behind, after 8-9 laps we had an 8 minute lead and bam disaster struck one of the guys had a flat that he couldn't fixed and we lost all but one minute.

Ok so we started again, now we were still running the same lap times late in the afternoon we had a 9 minute lead again, this time it was me who got the flat now I was running a tubeless upfront, of course I got the flat at 9pm, I get the tube in but I couldn't inflate the tire the reason was silly the silly nut that holds the valve stem in place it was missing, and the pump I was using didn't have a lock. So after a long while of fighting this I decided to run to the check point to have them call in the team , to have another guy come a get the baton.

Well after that disaster we dropped to 3rd and there weren't enough laps left to over come my time lost. So we got on the box and I think I got the bike and back pain sorted out.I'm going to skip the nationals because we need to be 100% sure that the pain is gone and Colorado is far and expensive to go and have it act up again. So we are running the last race of the So cal cup on sunday, I upgraded to Cat 1 so it should be fun, and I also get to try my cat 2 champ jersey.

Hopefully my new 2010 lefty gets here before the race, is cooler and lighter. I had all the guys in the team try my h2o overdrive drink and they loved it. I personally think it works great no real sweat marks anymore.

Will do an update after the big bear race.

No comments:

Post a Comment