Monday, August 2, 2010

Baja racing

Well to keep building my endurance, (after 2 years) of sickness, I decided to go down to Ensenada Mex. to do a mtb race. I race pro U23 down there, I forgot how tough and long a race there can be. The race is 5 laps long about 8 miles per lap, with about 1,000 of climbing per lap this is real XC racing no fire roads or anything like that.

I was coming of a volume week(getting ready) for the state championship, so I went there a little tired. The pros and the U23 go out together which makes for a fierce pace, red line from the word go with about 40 miles to race. I went with the lead group but I could tell the pace was just to fast for me, I wasn't fresh. So I let a few guys pass me, at the end of the 1st lap I was a couple minutes back, which is pretty good considering I was pretty beat. As the laps wore one I caught the guys that I let pass me, I was 1st U23 and 3rd overall going into the 4th lap.

By now I knew I was feeling all the riding from the previous week, and it hit pretty hard on the 4th lap, it was weird I wasn't feeling tired but I was losing time. Part of the problem was that my front fork is in need of a rebuild and it was beating me up really bad, from the 3rd lap on my neck, shoulders, wrist hurt a lot also my shoes got wet and the socks started to rub the outer part of my foot which hurt too. I drank 3 bottles of h2o overdrive drink, which I think is the best hydration drink out there, the heat was around 85 and no cramps or real crazy thirst just normal drinking. I love it.

At the end I won and finished 3rd overall, but I felt beat I forgot how long a 3 hrs race is. But I think it will help when the championship gets here.

Next race racers and chasers
Also there is a 100k race down there in Oct that I might do.

No comments:

Post a Comment